"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." - Reinhold Niebuhr

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Not so much...

Okay... So I have decided that I don't think I'm going to keep up with the blog. I'm just not really in the mood for it anymore.

My whole view on religion is that people are free to worship what they want, when they want, and how they want. I have noticed that almost every Deist I have "encountered" just totally bashes revealed religion. And, while I don't agree with revealed religion, publicly bashing it just seems like a waste of energy. If we sit here and say bad things about other religions and people, what does that make us? Isn't one of Deism's primary goals to maintain the "Golden Rule"? I wouldn't want people saying bad things about what I believe, so what gives me the right to say bad things about other people and their beliefs?

I'm not saying that I'm abandoning Deism, I just think I'm going to take a slightly different approach. Plus, I don't feel the need to talk about it. I feel that religion should be a journey that one discovers on their own, which I have. In other words, I plan on going back to the way things were before I found Deism, but this time, having a new outlook on life and the world around me.

I want to thank the people that took their time to read this blog and I am going to leave it up so if anyone out there someday is looking for Deism, they can find this blog and maybe it will help them with their path...

2 comments:

Colin Shanafelt said...

Excellent post. We are thinking alike. Please visit my own blog www.spiritualdeism.com

Let me know what you think.

ellede said...

One can get nasty surprises of this type in all sorts of places. I briefly attended a Spiritualist church a couple of years ago, only to find very soon that their emphasis was on capital-C Church. They essentially betrayed the tenets of Spiritualism, which emphasise people's own experiences and conclusions, by taking a 'my way or the highway' attitude. I was lucky to get out early; since then I've read about members being expelled, slandered and harrassed for simply not liking the way meditation classes were taught, and it seems this 'church' is being sued. So you have my sympathy with a disappointing experience of deists' bad behaviour!

Get Free Shots from Snap.com