"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." - Reinhold Niebuhr

Friday, November 7, 2008

First Steps Down the Path...


Until recently, I never really thought too much about religion. In fact, I didn't really like the thought of religion. I don't know what compelled me to but, I decided to take another look. I wanted to see if there were people that felt the same way I do about religion. Deism explains almost perfectly how I feel about religion... More on that later.


I looked for information on almost every religion I could think of. I looked up information on Christianity, which I knew the basis of already considering I grew up Catholic, I looked at Buddhism, Muslim, Hindu, Judaism, Paganism, to name a few. I actually felt Paganism was pretty close to the way I felt, so I decided to research it more, but still didn't feel it was a proper fit. After spending time browsing some Pagan websites, I accidentally came across a (to put it a little more accurately) a religious philosophy called Deism.

This is from The Deism Website:

Deism: Deism is the recognition of a universal creative force greater than that demonstrated by mankind, supported by personal observation of laws and designs in nature and the universe, perpetuated and validated by the innate ability of human reason coupled with the rejection of claims made by individuals and organized religions of having received special divine revelation.

To put it another way, I believe in God. Not through revelations, or The Bible, or other "holy scriptures" but, through science (which may sound odd, but I'll go into this more later), laws of nature, and the ability to Reason (more on this later, too).

There are also different forms of Deism... There are Classic Deists, Modern Deists, Positive, Dynamic, Christian, Spiritual, etc. They believe in relatively the same thing (stated above) but, have a few minor differences. The path that I have chosen is Spiritual Deism, which I will definitely talk more about in time.

So, I hope you enjoy reading my spiritual path to Deism, if anyone ever does.

No comments:

Get Free Shots from Snap.com