"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." - Reinhold Niebuhr

Saturday, November 8, 2008

No Intelligence Allowed


I watched an extremely interesting movie last night, "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed." The movie is about the argument between evolution/Darwinism and Intelligent Design. Schools and institutions all over this country are solely focusing on teaching evolution and anyone who even suggests Intelligent Design is fired or forced to resign.

Click Here for a little bit about the movie... You can go ahead and read it now and finish reading this post when you're done... I won't go anywhere.

Now, I am not saying that we should be teaching creationism in our schools because, scientifically speaking, it's just ridiculous. There is no way that the earth is only a few thousand years old, it is impossible that man and dinosaurs lived together, and there is no way God created the earth in six days.

I am also not saying we should stop teaching evolution. I think we should stop teaching evolution as a fact. It is still just a theory, after all. And there are holes in the theory. But, why can't we teach evolution and Intelligent Design? There are a lot of things taught in schools that can't be proven so, why can't we teach the possibility of a creator? Also, science needs to accept that there are other possibilities besides evolution. That is the whole point of science, to test different ideas, to explore every possible angle. Unfortunately, a lot of scientists are just accepting evolution and leaving it at that, and that is not science.

Basically, this is what I believe... God designed the universe, life, man, etc. but, not how it states in the bible. I honestly don't believe we can even comprehend how or why God created the universe. I think of God almost like a computer programmer. He is an outside force that designed basically how he wanted life and the universe to play out, and then hit enter. The Big Bang was God's program starting. I believe he watches how things pan out and maybe even "fixes" some "bugs" here and there but, nothing too major. Maybe he doesn't know exactly how life would turn out, he just knew how he wanted it to start and wanted a distinct result... Man or maybe something that hasn't happened yet.

This is where Deism kicks in for me. Deists don't need revelations to know that God exists. I see in how perfectly nature works, the laws of physics, the vastness of the universe, that there was and is some sort of Intelligent Design. I just don't believe that something as huge as the universe and something that works as perfectly as nature can be an accident.

Some Deists believe that after God created the universe and put things in motion, he stepped back and let it all unfold. I mostly agree with that, but I do think God from time to time inspires people. I don't believe he comes right out and talks to anyone or just decides to change things, that would negate the gifts he has given us, free will, Reason, etc. but, I truly believe he wants us to live better lives and help other people if and when we can and gives us a little nudge on the occasion. Also, some Deists believe that God doesn't listen to, or answer prayers. I partially agree with that but, not completely. This is what makes me a Spiritual Deist. I do pray from time to time. I'm not sure if God answers my prayers or if it is just me making them happen. Maybe praying gives me the inspiration to make them happen. Maybe that is how God helps me. He gave me the ability to pray to him knowing that it would help me become inspired to make my prayers happen.

Anyway... If you haven't seen "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed" yet, go watch it!

No comments:

Get Free Shots from Snap.com